Monday, November 12, 2012

Review: Shutter (2004)

My only recollection of this movie was it being yet another victim in a long line of Asian remakes pumped out by Hollywood in an attempt to cash in on the success of The Ring so I missed the fact the original film is actually Thai. Interestingly, the remake was done by a Japanese director, but by most accounts, it sucks. Thus, I never saw it, but I decided to give the original a try since I hadn't seen a horror movie from Thailand.

The setup is basically I Know What You Did Last Summer except with a ghost instead of Mr. Hook. Wait, don't leave! Yes, I know that sounds pretty craptacular. I didn't care at all for that '90s slasher so I struggled a little with the beginning but the different culture kept me watching, and it starts getting really, really good. As the real story unfolds, you find out there's actually a lot more to everything than you thought even the opening hit and run. Plus, you get some very creepy, scary scenes right up there with Ringu and Ju-on.

I was really surprised and shocked by the end. It has some excellent special effects sequences too (no CGI either, just good ole practical effects with some great makeup), which I wasn't expecting, but the way the story is so well thought out with the characters and the twists is what got me (and the twists make sense). That and they know how to get under your skin. Sadly, I don't think many people have seen this, probably because they were turned off by all the remakes or the quick plot synopsis doesn't sound real great, but it definitely delivers. And the revelation about the main character is pretty insane. I didn't see it coming at all, and it completely changes everything. It's on Netflix Instant right now so if you like good ghost stories or want to see something different, give it a shot.

2 comments:

  1. I love Thai horror in fact I love all Asian horror and shutter is defo one of the best modern ghost stories, I brought it for my collection

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I'm a huge fan of Asian horror. I really love A Tale of Two Sisters and I Saw the Devil.

    ReplyDelete