Tuesday, June 11, 2024

The Burning Moon (1992) ascends to total madness.

You just can't beat practical FX. At least I don't think so. All the masterpieces from the '80s prove this, and Olaf Ittenbach is known for his amazing FX. I'm a huge fan of Premutos: The Fallen Angel so I was eager to see this and it didn't disappoint. Slight spoiler but when a certain guy goes to hell in the finale, it was amazing. I love the way he's torn apart and everything around that. It definitely makes a strong impact and there are great moments earlier in the film too but that sequence blew me away. I wish more films would do something so bonkers and unexpected. Sure the movie isn't flawless but it's truly independent and you can tell there is genuine passion behind it, which I think makes all the difference. Hollywood films are polished but they so often treat the audience like idiots and don't take any chances. Independents can be so much more raw and brutal, making real horror possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment