Saturday, February 17, 2024

Malabimba (1979) goes hard on the sleaze.

If you watched The Exorcist and thought to yourself, "Not bad but where's all the nudity and sex?" then don't worry, this Italian "horror" movie was made for you. The full title The Malicious Whore lets you know exactly what you're in for. It's very strange and kind of disturbing (I guess that's the horror part... the Italian meaning of "wicked child" is even more disturbing) but if you've ventured into the dark sewer known as erotic horror, I think you pretty much know what to expect. I didn't realize Satan's Baby Doll (yes, I've seen it... hey, great poster) is basically a remake of this but that makes perfect sense. I prefer the latter... I think. My memory is a bit hazy and so many of these movies kind of run together. Malabimba has a pretty amazing location in an old castle and for being a sexploitation film, it delivers on that front. I was hoping maybe for some more horror but it's pretty light on that. Sure possession and "evil voice" but most of the horror is rather laughable instead of scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment