Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Review: Ninja Scroll (1993)

Maybe you don't like anime. Ok, but you got to see this. Besides being extremely brutal and gory with some sex for good measure, the story and characters kick ass. A lot of people love Akira, but to me, there is no comparison. This film is so much more emotional and engrossing. I can't get enough of samurai films (Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Seven Samurai, 13 Assassins), and there's no question this belongs in that category except with a million times more imagination. And even though this isn't live action, it doesn't matter one bit. I don't think Hollywood would ever have the guts to do half of what this anime does. It's definitely not for kids. I could see them adapting Akira but Ninja Scroll? No way. Not unless they butcher it. I've been in love with this film ever since I saw it long ago. Sure, it's a bit older, but it stands the test of time. Some may say it's perverse, and I won't argue, but it's brilliant all the same. Even if you can't stand anime, you owe it to yourself to watch this. There was a series as well, but I never saw it. I don't think anything could compete with the film, and I hope they never do a sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment